As a part of the Interdisciplinary subject – we, as a group, needed an in depth understanding of research methods, and how to utilise them within our kitchen caddy project. Consisting of team members from different design fields, we’ve contributed by sharing our experiences and integrate them together to create an effective method of research to complete our project. Having had the opportunity to work for a real life client, we approached this together by brainstorming key points we needed to tackle this project itself.
We started of discussing about a group charter, which consisted of agreements relating our ground rules, standards, goals, decision making, as well as strengths and weaknesses that would compliment one another as a team. We began by researching existing caddy liner designs by researching what was already out there in the market, analysed what has been done as well as what worked best, and took that into consideration to start our brainstorming process, in which we have tackled in a quite hands on way.
Starting up this project, we needed to understand how to tackle this project, which regarded such a complex topic like Organic Waste as it is such a big part of us, and how sensitive this topic may be to some. Considering how our group consists of not only different design practices; we come from different backgrounds and habits growing up, as well as different types of homes, from apartment buildings, to family houses, etc. We used this information and gathered our personal experiences and understood each others practices, and put that into consideration as well. For example, I myself live in an shared apartment with two other students, in which two bins are shared. One bin is for our general waste, and the other is for recyclable items such as packaging, bottles, etc. Each individual had their own waste practices, and understanding where we needed to grow and improve our ways, the easier it is for us to understand the on going issue of this Organic Waste topic.
We made sure we understood types of design methods and strayed away from merely assuming, rather, testing and observing for facts. This project relates to a few design methodologies as shown above; we want to know how to investigate our topic effectively, therefore, we needed facts. We revealed the effectiveness of our kitchen caddy liner by doing experiments within our homes to see if we were able to move forward onto our next design step. We, as a team, strongly agree that one concept must be grounded before moving on to the next one, so that we will end up with a strong product at the end. Organic Waste as a topic is quite broad in itself, therefore, different viewpoints are highly expected, although, it is very useful for us as we used it to move forward with our design practices. Prior to starting our group assignment, we’ve made a post regarding an audit, in which facts are depending on the observers view point. In our case with the caddy liner design, we’ve used these points not to just find answers on what works best, rather, finding solutions to how to improve our design and making sure we test it out to ensure it working for people around us as well. With a topic like Organic Waste we want to make sure that our attitude towards our project reflects how complex this topic actually is, and not overlook that there are definitely more than a handful of ways to tackle this on going problem.